I think Owen enjoyed his 4th birthday this year. But when we first moved to Dominica he kept crying and complaining that he did not want to get bigger and DID NOT want a birthday. Travis and I thought he was just being silly and would keep hyping up his birthday. One night a couple weeks before his birthday we made our nightly phonecall to dad at school. Owen asked his same old questions:
"HI DAD! You at school?"
"should we go to the park tomorrow?"
and continued the conversation...
Then Travis asked him if he was excited about turning 4 in a few weeks. Owen got very upset and said, "NO! I don't want a birthday!" Travis asked him why and all he could say was because. Travis explained to him how much fun it is to get bigger, to be able to go to school and to play with other kids and play sports etc. Owen's lip quivered like he was fighting back tears and said, "I just don't want to get bigger!"
They ended their conversation and Owen hung up and handed me the phone and was very sad. I asked him what was the matter and he looked at me and burst into tears. He asked me if I was going to go with him as he gets older? I was also fighting back my tears but couldn't. It was so sad that my little 4 year old was already so worried about leaving me. I told him I can't go everywhere with him anymore to places like primary and (soon) school, but I told him that I would always be his mom and that he is mine forever! We hugged for a long time and then I put him to bed.
A little while after he still did not want to have a birthday but I figured to tell him that 3 & 4 are the same and it isn't much different. So he finally accepted that he was turning 4 and that he would have a birthday! :)
That day he mostly played with all of his new superhero toys and we got a smoothie and hung out and made cupcakes to take to our branch Halloween party that night (in another post)
It was a fun day!

3 comments:
Oh what a sweet little guy!! He must have one amazing mom to never want to leave her!!
What a sweetheart.
linds, that is the sweetest thing! owen has always been so cute, but he has grown up so much over the last bit and says some of the sweetest cutest things. love him! youza lucky mama
Post a Comment