Friday, October 5, 2012

Surroundings

This is the main road.  This road is what takes you all over island.  It is VERY winedy, hilly, and unpleasant.  It goes straight by where we live but if you head to the capital (Roseau) you will get sick :).  At least I do...  I have to take a dose or two of dramamine when we go long distances.  There have been a few "about-to-puke" episodes.  It also depends on your driver & how they drive the road. It is so sad.  There are a few moms that come prepared with a small bucket in hand and lots of wipes for the drive because there little kids throw up almost every time!  That tells you how crazy it is!

A river I cross daily when I run errands.

IGA- This is our grocery store.  It is a very nice store.  Nice and cool with air conditioning.  The grocery store is at the bottom of the building and up top is a crazy expensive furniture, electronics, kitchen etc. store.  When we first got here Travis was looking high and low for a toaster (that is all he eats for breakfast).  We walked into the store and there was a nice stainless steal one for $449 EC which is like $175 US.  It was crazy how expensive it was!  The exchange rate here is 2.67.  Anyway, we did not purchase that toaster but found one that was a lot cheaper at another store, so Trav gets his toast! :)

Just more of the stores in that complex


This little place is called The Shacks.  It is kind of like the University cafeteria.  It is all Dominican food, small fruit and vegetable shacks, juice shacks and  smoothie shacks.  It is ALWAYS packed and sometimes there are local bands that come and play.  It is kind of fun!  When we go on our walks we stop most of the time for a smoothie. Owen gets a small banana smoothie with sugar and I get a strawberry banana smoothie without sugar.  The juices and smoothies made here are all made with fresh real fruit.  So rich and delicious!

This is a little restaurant complex that we like to eat at too.  The store on the far left is called The Wrap Factory.  It is sooo good.  They sell fresh wraps and burritos.  The store with the green sign in front is called Picard Oven.  It is a small bread bakery.  I have only been there once, but they have lots of different breads to choose from as well as cupcakes and specialty breads.  On the far right (where the pillars are) is called The Usual Spot.  We went there last weekend for one of our friend's birthday dinners.  We had heard it was SO good and as close to American food as you can get.  This restaurant was more-so a Japanese place.  Lots of sushi, chicken etc.  Travis got the sesame chicken (SO GOOD) and I got a tempura shrimp and veggie bowl that was very good!  

Continuing on the main road ( I was headed to the pool this day)

View at the pool of the ocean.  I LOVE the palm trees and pop of color everywhere!  So pretty!

Some more buildings and housing on my way home.  More bright colors


All of this is where I am almost on a daily basis.  We are all settled and into our routine now and getting used to things.
It is lots of fun to go explore!

1 comment:

Cason and Marie said...

Loved this post! I love to see where you live. Love the colorful buildings. It looks so pretty there. I wanna come visit!!